Thursday, February 12, 2009

A New Mythology

I have the stoic spirit of Rosa Parks
I have the warrior heart of Joan of Arc.
I am as brilliant as I am dark
And you ain't even seen me start

I come from a long line of African Queens
My truth is the truth of Ma’at.
I come to claim my Kemet Kingdom
Now give me back what you got.

You see I traced my history,
I finally understood
Now give me back my priestess power
take your virgin-motherhood.

I am as beautiful as the Queen of Sheba
as raging as Kali
As sensual as the poet Sappho
as silent as the Furies…

I am as fiery as Brigit,
I’m the one who said no
I’m Lillith, I’m Nefertiti
and so many more you don’t know.

I am Judith, I am Esther, I am Deborah, I am Ruth
I am Nepthys, I am Hathor, I am Isis, I am Nut

I am the primordial Goddess, the first and the last
Some call me Gaia, some call me Tiamat

I am as independent as Artemis,
as whole and as fierce
And though you break through my hymen
my ‘virginity’ You can NEVER pierce.

I have the stamina of Eleanor, the guts of the Virgin Queen
I have the boldness of Hathsheput, and the strategy of Athene

I have the vision of Cady Stanton, the resoluteness of Susan B
I have the integrity of Dido, the depth of Proserpine

I am as wise as Sophia, as fruitful as Demetre,
I am as well-learned as hypatia, and man, would I have liked to meet her!

I am Inanna, I am Ishtar, I am Theodora, and Cybele,
Though I stand before you calling myself Michelle

i am evreywoman no matter how my name is spelled...

i am evreywoman no matter how my name is spelled.


in honor of women's history month, by m. riu

No comments: